Thursday, September 20, 2012

TVD: A Few of My Favorite Things


Sorry to get any hopes up but this is a re-post as a few valued readers were getting some serious errors with this one. 

This is TVD week! To celebrate the season 3 release on Tuesday, every post this week will concern vampires and The Vampire Diaries tv series. Be wary of some spoilers, although I will avoid anything uber important from season 3.

I totally ended up watching Sound of Music this weekend, and while I just missed the "Favorite Things" song by a hair, it’s been in my head ever since. Thus it seemed an appropriate post title since we are concluding our week of The Vampire Diaries posts with random favorite things/moments from the show.
This list is a compilation of my favorites, and my friend Jenn’s favorites. Because sometimes we’re basically the same person, especially when it comes to TVD.
·      The fact that they get rid of the whole “diary” premise. Thank goodness. It gets old. In fact, for anyone that watches the first episode and can’t believe anyone likes the show – give it a few. It’s MUCH better when they’re not doing the diary thing.
·      Damon – enough said.
·      One thing that’s really brilliant is that eventually, they explain inconsistencies. It was driving me insane how vampires kept wandering freely into the Salvatore house. I thought they were just being lazy, but they explain why near the end of season 3.
·      The voiceover at the beginning. Every episode (after the first one) starts by saying “previously on the Vampire Diaries.” Well, being me, I didn’t realize they have a different character saying this every time. In fact the only reason I eventually caught it was because Rose says it in season 2, and I was like wait a minute, since when was that voice British?? I should point out, they literally do switch between like every character. It had been male, it had been female, it had been Damon, it had been Elena. And yet I never realized this until it became British. I feel like this says something about my mind and observation skills, but I’m just going to ignore that.
·      Elijah – he’s adorable!! He’s so honorable and sweet. He’s like a puppy, and how often do you find vampires that remind you of puppies? I would totally hug him in a dark alley.
·      Just the plain old fact that this show can get you so emotionally invested. I end up literally screaming at the tv. Not in fear (normally) but I get so worried about these characters, and angry when they act like flaming retards!
·      Anna – in the words of Jenn, “she's so damn cute... you know after how initially creepy she was.” Anna is like the only one of Jeremy’s gfs I’ve actually liked him being with. That’s saying something. Plus did anyone else’s heart break when she realized he was using her?? Poor girl.
·      Oh plus one thing I haven’t discussed yet (there’s a lot to talk about with TVD) is how they handle villains. The big villains aren’t just randomly evil in TVD. Eventually, we get to see the softer side. I really love this about the show. It’s actually something I think differentiates it from True Blood, as opposed to all their similarities. I mean seriously, who liked Marnie?? What about freaking Maryann??? On the other hand, when Klaus gave Caroline that bracelet I melted. Sadly Caroline actually has a bit more willpower than me.
·      The Damon/Alaric bromance. I know, I know, I already had a whole post about this. But it’s sooooo good I can’t do a list of my favorites without putting it on here again.
·      And then there’s the video below. One of the best moments of the series. Because it won’t make as much sense to non-viewers, some background – Stefan is actually the one walking in the room, in this episode the brothers keep acting like they’re each other. Make sure to watch the video full screen, and watch Stefan’s eyes. Totally a good mock imitation of Damon’s crazy eye thing. 
 
And this concludes TVD week! Season 3 is officially out on DVD, although I will wait a bit before buying. ONLY because I already have season 3 on Amazon video... don't think I have self restraint or anything crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment