Monday, August 6, 2012

Becoming a Professional (not the paid killer version)


I want to be the very best
Like no one ever was…
-Pokemon Theme Song

Last Friday I had a true chance to test my professionalism, and thankfully, I passed with flying colors.

Of course one might ask, how do you define professionalism? That’s actually the big problem in being a professional (just to clarify, I don’t mean like in The Professional. I don’t feel quite qualified to teach people how to be adorable assassins). Especially when you’re a perfectionist, and you have to excel at absolutely everything you do. Acting like a professional is really open to interpretation.

I mean sure, there are some basic rules. Don’t forget to wear pants to the office. Don’t sip from a bottle of tequila all day. Don’t record client calls and create your own “Call Me Maybe” video.

Past that though it gets a little more fuzzy. Take something simple, such as, dress like a professional. Well what does that mean? A pants suit every day? A cute dress? Accessories? What if your office is casual? You need to walk that fine line between casual and complete slob.

What about hair? If you’re a guy and it’s long and shaggy, is that unprofessional or a fashion statement? Are pigtail braids too cutesy? Is it instant failure if you can see your roots, or is there a degree at which they pass from acceptable to unprofessional?

I pride myself on maintaining my professionalism, although it’s getting a little harder for me to define why. At this point I work from home frequently, so dressing for work on those days has become a matter of changing into my “work” pajamas. Initially I still dressed nice every day, but really, no one can see me. I work just as well in my piggy boxers and a tank top as I do in jeans and a blouse. Better probably, because I’m way more comfy. Never question the motivation of a woman in piggy boxers. However whenever I’m meeting with clients I still put on the ritz, so I think it counts.

When I am onsite with clients I also try to stick to approved topics (like the weather, traffic, caffeinated drinks…) and not wander into controversial territory like the coming zombie apocalypse. Despite my sandwich issues I will eat anything they offer for lunch. The only reason my hair does not currently have bright blue streaks is because I want to maintain my professional demeanor.

So what is the ultimate test of professionalism that I faced on Friday? The spider challenge.

In case you didn’t know, I have 3 big fears: selachophobia, cleithrophobia, and arachnophobia. Of course the spider issue comes up far more often. I CANNOT stand spiders. I do not want them anywhere near me. It’s not even that I think they might bite me. That’s pretty much a non-issue. I would react just the same to a deadly spider as I do when it’s a little bitty normal spider. I can't even handle pictures of spiders, which explains the lack of pictures for this post.

So on Friday I was on a call with a client, innocently talking, when all of a sudden I was viciously attacked by a spider (when I say viciously attacked, I mean it was on my desk walking somewhat towards me).

Amazingly enough I kept my cool. I continued to answer questions and finish up. I did not start shrieking. I did not hurry them off the call. I calmly waited for them to finish, and once I was off the phone, then I shrieked to my heart’s content as I tried to kill the stupid spider while it jumped around. I was very impressed with myself. This was like the ultimate proof of my professionalism. Really, the only way I could better prove my professionalism is to maintain a client conversation under spider attack while simultaneously fending off a giant shark. Thank god that probably won’t happen. That one is a little beyond my capabilities.

To be fair, I should probably close by mentioning a bit about my opponent, the evil spider. This particular spider was black, and jumpy. It scuttled around quite quickly. Sure I had the advantage when it came to size (it was about the size of the power button on a tv remote. Possibly a little smaller), but it was wily.

No comments:

Post a Comment