Sunday, August 12, 2012

Bad Life Decisions


Seriously, these are my crack
Every so often I make a Bad Life Decision. Now the good news is that my Bad Life Decisions are more along the lines of eating an entire bag of buffalo pretzels or buying too much at Target because it’s bright colored or mini. This weekend however I made a series of Bad Life Decisions.

Bad Life Decision #1 – I arranged to return my rental car “early” Saturday morning because I knew I wouldn’t be back in time Friday evening.

Bad Life Decision # 2 – I rented from the one place in town that doesn’t let you just drop off the keys in a lockbox, as I discovered Friday night. I left the rental car there anyways because I wanted my car back, but this meant I’d still have to go over Saturday morning and give them the keys.

Bad Life Decision # 3 – When a friend asked me to go out dancing Friday night, I agreed. Normally not such a bad decision but I was exhausted and this meant I’d be out late.

Bad Life Decision # 4 – Since I was exhausted, I’d worked a crazy week, and I didn’t get much sleep due to late night dancing and early car key return, I declared Saturday a Lazy Day. This meant I was free to lounge around, watching movies, reading, and eating all day. After a day of relaxation, I would then go to bed at a decent time, and I was allowed to sleep in Sunday before starting all my laundry and various errands to get ready for another crazy work week.

Now see by themselves, these were all harmless little decisions. The problem is that one decision led to another, then to the next, and so on, until we end up with

Bad Life Decision # 5 – While watching movies on tv, decide to turn on 28 Weeks Later as it’s been quite awhile since I’ve seen that movie.

This was without a doubt the worst decision of the weekend. You see, I have certain movie issues, revolving around horror movies and sad movies. 28 Weeks Later is a bit of both.

My issue with sad movies is just that I don’t like to be sad. I am thoroughly against being sad. I will not watch movies that I know will make me cry. I am thoroughly against crying. While 28 Weeks Later doesn’t make me cry, it does still upset me. It’s quite tragic really, and tragedy gets to me.

My issues with horror movies are more complex. I like horror movies. I have a perverse desire to watch them. But I also somehow lack that essential knowledge that IT’S JUST A MOVIE. While watching movies, I am totally and completely sucked in. It feels entirely possible to me that anything could happen. Thus, I get totally and completely scared. I am that screaming, jumping, obnoxious girl that everybody hates. I’m fine for a bit after the movie, but that night I will be endlessly plagued by memories of the movie, horrifying dreams, and a general fear of the dark. This happens even if by the end of the movie I’m no longer scared because it got ridiculous. For instance, after watching Perfume, that night I had to sleep with a trash can in front of my door.

Now generally, after watching a movie once it doesn’t scare me quite so much. But this is in large part too due to how I watch horror movies.

See at some point I will get so scared, I stop watching the movie. I cover my eyes, I hide behind pillows. I miss very important key parts. As I watch movies over again I start to see more, so for me it’s quite possible I might see new things every time I watch a horror movie.

Now this all comes around into me watching part of 28 Weeks Later yesterday.  And warning, there will be spoilers.

I first turned it on during the day. I had only ever seen it once, mostly behind a pillow, and it has Rose Bryne in it, and I love her. I watched right at the beginning, but stopped right after Don gets the rage virus as I knew the next parts scared me. Then I made a Wise Decision and switched to something way better and not scary like Batman Forever.

Except all of a sudden I had an insight. Oh my god, Doyle from the beginning was the same sexy soldier that helps them escape. It hints at the beginning that he has feelings for Scarlet. I totally overlooked it when I was hiding behind a pillow the first time, but if that’s true, and he’s the solder I remember, then he dies tragically.

And of course, this just intrigued me. So I decided to try watching it again when it replayed to see if that was true. Of course they didn’t replay the movie until after 8 PM, which meant I was now watching it in the dark.

SUCH a Bad Life Decision. I was right, and it is totally hinted that Doyle is interested in Scarlet and it’s all tragic and they die. So now not only is the whole rage-zombie thing in my head, so is the utter tragicness (wait, tragicness is not a word?? Oh well, it is now) of Doyle’s unspoken love and sacrifice.

So of course, I couldn’t sleep. I had to leave my tv on so there was some light in my room, but even this didn’t help. I’d have a bad dream, wake up, fall asleep eventually, and the cycle would start again. Around 6 AM I decided I could turn the tv off as it was starting to get light outside. I had my best sleep of the night between 7:40-10 AM as I started dreaming about The Vampire Diaries instead, but overall my planned sleep in day was RUINED since I barely slept all night. Sigh.

There is actually going to be a second part of this story, as I plan to go into a rant about Doyle in order to work out my sadness over his tragic death since there is a very upsetting lack of fanficion about this. Stay tuned for part 2!

3 comments:

  1. At least your bad life choices did not involve hard drugs or marrying someone so they can get a green card. If those things had happened, well, I'd be heading to TX to see what the state has done to you.

    I always like to watch something sublimely silly or happy after watching a sad movie or a horror movie. That way, that's the movie left in my head when I go to bed not zombies and slashers. Try Troop Beverly Hills or Rhinestone or maybe a Pixar movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing living in TX has done to me so far is given me a fondness for wearing sundresses with giant belts... is that bad?

      Delete
  2. Not at all! Giant belts are a TX staple.

    ReplyDelete